calimero
Hello Guest! Please sign in or register!

Author Topic: Realpolitik in Europe.  (Read 3740 times)

Lugdu

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1189
  • -Received: 701
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOCucJw7iT8
Re: Realpolitik in Europe.
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2017, 13:15 »
Peut-être que le système allemand est arrivé à un stade difficile parce que la répartition des votes s'est élargie. Le consensus devient donc difficile. Il se peut que A.Merkel soit bien adaptée au système démocratique allemand, mais que l'impasse n'ait pas été prévue ou oubliée. Elle ne peut pas faire plus grand écart politique : est-ce sa faute ?

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1024
  • -Received: 577
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2017, 13:28 »
@coffejohn
Must here something about German politics, is ultimately also European. Go across the flower, without transitions. Only my frustration here. The coalition between four parties  has failed. The FDP is accused. If the coalition had succeeded I would have accused all four. If parties that were before the election such as fire and water coalesce, the voter can only lose.The art of compromise is praised and demanded, but doing justice to all human beings is an art that nobody can.Concepts and ideas argue, come out foul compromises.It's like a restaurant, lots of fine food, but you can not agree on one, so - a little bit from each. Like the leftovers, every cook would be ashamed of it.The generous immigration policy, which is not generous enough for the Greens, was voted out. But the Greens are needed for a majority government. I would prefer a minority government that has  constantly find new majorities, always have to convince instead of governing with majority government against common sense.As far as Europe is concerned - Macron wants 60 billion of Germany every year, and with the exception of the FDP, everyone involved in the negotiations seemed to want to give it to him. This is not a mirror of the electorate. I am grateful to the FDP that this farce was bursting.Merkel is only at the end when her party is no longer behind her.That does not seem to be the case. But she can not switch and act as she pleases, that's progress.Germany has enough of its own problems, but many politicians want to save Europe (Macron's Ministry of Finance) and the world( klima , refugees ) before they deal with it.We have only briefly to save the world, then we'll come to you. :o
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 13:31 by selber »

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 273
  • John Hawkins, retired canal boat builder.
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2017, 11:17 »
@coffejohn
---Germany has enough of its own problems, but many politicians want to save Europe (Macron's Ministry of Finance) and the world( klima , refugees ) before they deal with it.We have only briefly to save the world, then we'll come to you. :o

This aspect of your post reflects part of the Brexit argument; that most member countries of the EU expect stronger members to solve their collective problems for them.

To be fair to Germany it has done it`s best over the decades to meet these demands but seems now to be tired of ever increasing expectations.
Go solar, go slow.

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
Go solar, go slow.

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2017, 20:23 »

EU to UK: You’re not special

From; https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-to-uk-youre-not-special-brexit-talks-phase-2/

The UK wants ‘deep and special’ ties post-Brexit but the EU has other ideas.

By David M. Herszenhorn   

12/13/17, 6:45 PM CET

Updated 12/13/17, 7:17 PM CET

If the EU had to pick a theme song for Phase 2 of the Brexit talks, Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” could be the leading contender.

There are roughly 170 countries in the world that are not members of the European Union. And thanks to Brexit, on March 29, 2019, the United Kingdom becomes just one of that pack.

Looking ahead to discussions about the future relationship with the U.K., senior EU officials and diplomats are warning that the bloc has numerous partnerships, including trade agreements, with many countries, and Brussels has no intention of diminishing those arrangements by offering London a sweeter package.

That’s especially true, officials said, when it comes to Norway and Switzerland — the two big partners that pay into the EU budget to be part of its single market.

Put simply, the U.K. opted for a breakup and the EU is going to put loyal friends before its ex.

Or as Gotye, the Belgian-born musician, sings it: “You didn’t have to cut me off … Now you’re just somebody that I used to know.”

While this is simply an opinion piece it do`s raise important questions about the UK`s place in Europe.  The first probably relates to security while the second relates to governance.

I am confident that the EU27 can defend themselves and counter Russian/Iranian pressures on their boarders; at least with a little help from their American friends.

EU governance without our esteemed input also seems to be in good hands between Macron the Great and Schulz`s the Arbiter of  Loyalty to EU Integration. The UK has been seen as a drag on EU progress for some time so it will be interesting to see what creek it paddles itself up under it`s own power.

I certainly agree that the EU should put loyal friends first; I would like to know who these "friends" are though as the only "friends" the EU seems to have are those it bribes with UK and German money. Once the former stops and the latter dries up these fair weather friends will show their true worth.

Go solar, go slow.

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 12:13 »

Europe faces defense spending challenge

New plans meet old obstacles.

By Janosch Delcker   

12/14/17, 4:00 AM CET

From; https://www.politico.eu/article/europe-defense-spending-challenge-new-transatlantic-order/

BERLIN — Goaded by Donald Trump, scared by Russia and eager to give fresh impetus to integration, Europe is gearing up to spend big on defense.

The challenge the Continent now faces, according to politicians, industry leaders and experts, is to spend wisely.

To get value for money and armed forces that truly increase their security, governments will have to overcome a reluctance to buy from foreign suppliers and collaborate on multinational projects — even when that means fewer jobs for their own industries.

Go solar, go slow.