calimero
Hello Guest! Please sign in or register!

• Basic Income 5 1
Currently:  

Poll

What's your opinion about a Basic Income?

Author Topic: Basic Income  (Read 7505 times)

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Received: 640
  • John Hawkins, retired canal boat builder.
Re: Basic Income
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2017, 23:13 »
I think any country that did offer a basic income would soon find itself flooded with immigrants, migrants, and refugees. And that would be the end of it.

Social benefits are a form of basic income, hence the UK`s migrant problem.
Go solar, go slow.

Lugdu

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1164
  • -Received: 676
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 12:20 »
I think any country that did offer a basic income would soon find itself flooded with immigrants, migrants, and refugees. And that would be the end of it.
Hello Lizajap !
c'est une réflexion que de nombreuses personnes font…
Il y a toujours des conditions d'obtention.

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 968
  • -Received: 549
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2017, 00:28 »
Actually, I am an opponent of basic income . But I will thoughtfully . Productivity is constantly increasing . Ever fewer workers for more and more quantity . But who will buy ? How much quantity does the planet tolerate ? Do we have room to create ever more markets for more and more people ?

Lugdu

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1164
  • -Received: 676
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2017, 11:56 »
good question ! >:(

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2017, 12:53 »
good question ! >:(
I thought the exclamation mark is German .  :o  It has something demanding . Conti noticed it at the Germans . Good questions are valuable when the are answered . I can not do that . The world of competition leaves nothing but ruthless competition . Who refuses  will loses . Perhaps that is a deeper reason for the desire for protectionism . But unfortunately also no solution .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 13:01 by selber »

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 09:01 »
Actually, I am an opponent of basic income . But I will thoughtfully . Productivity is constantly increasing . Ever fewer workers for more and more quantity . But who will buy ? How much quantity does the planet tolerate ? Do we have room to create ever more markets for more and more people ?
I quote myself to ask the question again . It is really unimaginable that more and more people are working with ever-increasing productivity . But every man must earn his livelihood . Either we find a solution , or we have to deal with more and more losers in the competition for a job . Poverty, not because poverty is imperative, but because we do not want to share . It is like the party game " Journey to Jerusalem " , only that more than one chair is missing, and more and more chairs are missing . At some point there must stand more , than can sit . And stand means poverty, even to the endangering of the existence . An alternative to the basic income would be a reduction in working hours, so more jobs (more chairs) . The Chinese entrepreneur Jack Ma sees the future in this .

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/alibabas-jack-ma-says-people-will-work-four-hours-a-day-in-30-years.html

"I think in the next 30 years, people only work four hours a day and maybe four days a week," Ma said. "My grandfather worked 16 hours a day in the farmland and [thought he was] very busy. We work eight hours, five days a week and think we are very busy."

Still, Ma said the rich and poor — the workers and the bosses — will be increasingly defined by data and automation unless governments show more willingness to make "hard choices."

"The first technology revolution caused World War I," he said. "The second technology revolution caused World War II. This is the third technology revolution."

With machine learning and artificial intelligence eliminating jobs, "the third technology revolution may cause the Third World War," he said.

Ma, a teacher by training, also said world leaders should pay attention to the education system to avoid the pain that could come with automation.

The second quote shows that  Ma sees an option in this , but there are other options , how can developed the future , and that are evil scenarios . I wonder how 16 hours of work in one week is tolerated with poverty . Poor people will want to work more to be less poor . The future will confront us with immense problems . And in order to avoid economic wars, we would have to see the problems globally and solve them globally . I am not very optimistic, as history shows, the climate issues and  over-exploitation of resources of the earth , humanity has little reason and far-sightedness . The individual man, perhaps , but not humanity as a whole .

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Received: 640
  • John Hawkins, retired canal boat builder.
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 16:16 »
I quote myself to ask the question again . It is really unimaginable that more and more people are working with ever-increasing productivity . But every man must earn his livelihood . Either we find a solution , or we have to deal with more and more losers in the competition for a job .--

The emerging answer to your point is the Basic Income which seems to me to be an extension of Personal Tax Credits, which you may not have in Germany??

A more interesting, to me, aspect of the problem of work sharing is the question of migrant labour in a low labour economy. We are told that western economies need migrant labour yet we face a reduced demand for workers in the future!

Given that most migrants take low skilled work how will they fit into the economy of the Brave New World?
Go solar, go slow.