calimero
Hello Guest! Please sign in or register!

Author Topic: Renzi threatens EU budget veto over migrants  (Read 541 times)

Primavera

• Thank You
  • -Given: 284
  • -Received: 203
Renzi threatens EU budget veto over migrants
« on: October 26, 2016, 20:47 »
Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi yesterday (25 October) threatened to veto the EU’s budget over a lack of solidarity from the rest of Europe as the bloc struggles to manage the refugee crisis.

“We give €20 billion to Europe so that we can get back 12 – and if Hungary, the Czech Republic and Slovakia want to preach at us about immigrants, allow Italy to say that the system is no longer working,” Renzi told RAI 1 television.
Asked if he was ready to use Italy’s veto to torpedo the EU’s budget, he said, “Yes, absolutely.”
Renzi railed against central European countries that have closed off their borders to migrants and refused to take in asylum seekers under an EU quota plan.
“If you build walls against immigrants, you can forget about seeing Italian money. If the immigrants don’t go there, the money won’t go there either,” he said.
Italy’s Finance Minister Pier Carlo Padoan confirmed yesterday evening that the government had received a letter from the European Commission demanding “clarifications” from Italy concerning its 2017 national budget.
Italy has a forecast public deficit of 2.3% of GDP in 2017 – significantly higher than that expected by Brussels – due to a deadly earthquake in August, as well as the costs of hosting migrants arriving across the Mediterranean from North Africa.
“The clarifications demanded are linked to exceptional expenditure for the earthquake and over immigration,” Padoan said.
Italy has seen 155,000 people arrive on its shores this year, putting immense strain on its overcrowded reception centres – as well government coffers.
https://www.euractiv.com/section/euro-finance/news/renzi-threatens-eu-budget-veto-over-migrants/

Johanndasgespenst

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 2
Re: Renzi threatens EU budget veto over migrants
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 22:58 »
Does anybody know how many immigrants we currently have in Europa? Everytime I search for numbers they give a lot of diffirent statistics but never an overall number (Maybe I am stupid to ask this) And is it wrong to say that I am worried about the amount of immigrants? A lot of european politicians talk about using them for the economy and that this immigration crisis is an opportunity for Europe, because we could use the workforce.. but at the same time young people don't have jobs in a lot of countries (Spain for example).

I have a lot of questions but can't find a descent answer on the Internet. And on the European union social media they are vague about this topic.

coffejohn

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 231
  • -Received: 625
  • John Hawkins, retired canal boat builder.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 10:22 »
A good question, I suppose you could get an approximate number for legal migrants but how many illegal migrants we have is another matter. Even we in the UK with our border controls and the Channel have no real idea of the numbers.

As for the need for migrants this should be determined by national need rather than imposing quotas by diktat.

The other aspect of this is internal EU movement of workers; a good idea in theory during benign economic periods but another matter when the economies of the EU members are under pressure.

In the UK we have the impression that migrants are used to force down wages for unskilled labour, a prime factor in the Brexit vote.
Go solar, go slow.

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 945
  • -Received: 533
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 23:04 »
https://www.euractiv.com/section/euro-finance/news/renzi-threatens-eu-budget-veto-over-migrants/
Even if the issue is old, it is still up to date, right now, when Italy is still fighting to bear the main burden of the refugee crisis . I understand the Italians very well, and everyone understands them . But the threat of putting financial pressure on Austria or Germany is the most unfavorable means . In 2015 the borders were open to the climax of the crisis. Sweden, Austria and Germany bore the main burden, which was much more than today . Nobody came up with the idea that this could also be solidarity with countries like Italy and Greece. Orban would have a big problem without Merkel's invitation, as the refugees in Hungary had a fixed position, and I wonder how he would have resolved it . Merkel wanted quotas , but she was accused of the invitation . Who opens the borders does invite !But today it is complaining that the borders are not open.