calimero
Hello Guest! Please sign in or register!

Author Topic: Steven Gern on Muslim Ban  (Read 544 times)

Conti

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 967
  • -Received: 1394
Re: Steven Gern on Muslim Ban
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 12:04 »
@Conti: Do you know this book from David Engels? http://www.europa-verlag.com/buecher/auf-dem-weg-ins-imperium/

Its a modern version of Oswald Spenglers "Untergang des Abendlandes" and you seem to be in the perfect mood to read it:

I think I read a review of the book on some Italian site, possibly ilfoglio.it. You're right, it definitely corresponds to my state of mind and on top of that I admire Octavian Augustus.

The above picture is a statue of Augustus in the Roman area of Turin.

<object width="640" height="385"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mr9T-943BnE&fs=1&start="></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mr9T-943BnE&fs=1&start=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 945
  • -Received: 533
Re: Steven Gern on Muslim Ban
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 10:31 »
I think I read a review of the book on some Italian site, possibly ilfoglio.it. You're right, it definitely corresponds to my state of mind and on top of that I admire Octavian Augustus.

The above picture is a statue of Augustus in the Roman area of Turin.

It is again a very different comment, but here nothing happens and every comment is better than no comment . You remember the old Rome . That has been lost many centuries ago . But perhaps one can nevertheless find parallels to today and our culture, among other reasons for the downfall . A politician who was unpopular in Germany at one time spoke of "late Roman decadence" with regard to Germany . We do not like that . True or not, was there this in Rome ? Rome did not go under because it lost wars . Rome lost wars because the Romans " went too well " . Many lost the ability and the will to fight for their existence, or those who did not lost it , had Rome itself , as the greatest enemy . Rome attracted people from all over the world, or brought them as slaves . Rome lost its identity . Too little Romans called Rome our Rome . This is, I think, something that threatens the Europeans. Not just because of immigration . We have a demanding attitude to our societies . We have created rights faster than the ability to meet these rights . I do not mean the executive . I mean our ability to recognize rights . We alienate ourselves from ourselves . We learn what is good and right , but in unsereren Inside we find much wrong . There is a contradiction between what we want to be and what we are . An example - man and woman are not equal, men and women know this . But we do not want to consider differences . I see such contradictions in many questions , we want to break social constraints and create new constraints . But the new constraints do not come from society, but from small ideational predecessors . The dream of Unlimited Freedom is to free us from duty . But if we have no duties, then there is no sense in life and no future. People are to look for their place, but no one takes care of them, no orientation points, no guidelines . In Germany there is a " Leitkulturdebatte " . It poses the question -what is our culture? And we find no answer, every idea is seen as a compulsion, as something which one may desire, but not demand. In the end, everyone is talking about the basic law. If this is our culture, then we have none.