calimero
Hello Guest! Please sign in or register!

Author Topic: Football and racism  (Read 1061 times)

Conti

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 986
  • -Received: 1415
Football and racism
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:46 »
'Italian FA must probe racism': Fifa

Fifa on Monday called for an investigation into alleged racist comments made by the front runner in the race for the top job in Italian football.

The racism row involves Italian FA vice-president Carlo Tavecchio, who last Friday provoked controversy when discussing Italy's overseas players.

Tavecchio caused controversy in comments he made at his election launch last Friday.

"Opti Poba, who previously ate bananas and then suddenly becomes a first-team player at Lazio," the 71-year-old said, in reference to Paul Pogba, the France international who plays for Juventus.

Tavecchio apologised afterwards but stressed he was not a racist.

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1058
  • -Received: 589
Re: Football and racism
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 13:05 »
@Conti
Again, I answer to an old topic that I previously overlooked. But I love football, and the connection with racism bothers me. Just as racism interferes everywhere, including in football.But racism can not be fought by condemnation, only by conviction. Many black footballers convince with good performances, and bring the racist football fan in conflict with his love of football and his racism. Football is one of the things that can reduce racism. Even prejudices against "superficial" Italians are destroyed if you see their tactically intelligent and disciplined teams playing.

Conti

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 986
  • -Received: 1415
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 14:03 »
@Conti
Again, I answer to an old topic that I previously overlooked. But I love football, and the connection with racism bothers me. Just as racism interferes everywhere, including in football.But racism can not be fought by condemnation, only by conviction. Many black footballers convince with good performances, and bring the racist football fan in conflict with his love of football and his racism. Football is one of the things that can reduce racism. Even prejudices against "superficial" Italians are destroyed if you see their tactically intelligent and disciplined teams playing.

Hi @selber, I agree racism can be everywhere. I'm not a football fan, but it must be because I was never good at playing it in the first place and always felt like an outsider.

I think team sports give people and especially men the opportunity to vent their aggressive anger against a common enemy. I rarely allow myself to feel strongly during a match, but I understand supporting a team is a really intense experience, a surrogate of war probably. Looking into myself, I believe I keep myself distanced from that because I'm scared of my own aggressive anger.

What do you think of men who are not interested in football?

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 14:37 »

What do you think of men who are not interested in football?
For most football fans, that's outsiders. Not for me . In Germany we say "football is the most important minor matter in the world".I think that patriotism is not characterized by realism. Football fans are not realists, but they often show local patriotism, or at least loyalty to a team through thick and thin. That is the fidelity we want from our fellow human beings. But you can show this loyalty differently than in football.

Frank Zappa

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 801
  • -Received: 960
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 18:03 »
For most football fans, that's outsiders. Not for me . In Germany we say "football is the most important minor matter in the world".I think that patriotism is not characterized by realism. Football fans are not realists, but they often show local patriotism, or at least loyalty to a team through thick and thin. That is the fidelity we want from our fellow human beings. But you can show this loyalty differently than in football.

Selber, I hope that you wont feel attacked by my comment, but as a former football fan and player in the meantime I honestly do not care much about the professional football leagues any more. In the meantime I think that football is one of the most capitalist and dishonest industries that exist. Although hardly an insider admits it doping is very common and many profi players and public heroes actually have psychological problems. Others systematically evade taxes and get supported by their clubs in that. The following book is quite interesting: https://www.3sat.de/page/?source=/scobel/bt/187575/index.html

In economic perspective the football industry is a huge redistribution from poor fans to super wealthy football stars. In that regard I also find it bizarre that out of all many left-wing politicians show so much public sympathy for the football industry. In addition I am also against public channels paying for broadcasting rights. Of course this also counts for other unclean sports and Olympia. Why should the state subsidise that? Opium fürs Volk? :o People could still watch it in private channels. 8)

"Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex."

selber

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 19:19 »
:o People could still watch it in private channels. 8)
If people would love Badminthon , then would be there smart people and make money from the love. The love is innocent and honest as well as the sport . First comes the love, and then the money maker.We pay for football because we love football. We do not have to pay for football, but for what we love. Frank Zappa music was also not for free.

Frank Zappa

• Super-Hero Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 801
  • -Received: 960
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:12 »
We pay for football because we love football.

I dont have a problem with people loving football, but just say the state shouldnt subsidize developments which are obviously not good. Also without subsidies there will indeed remain sport idols, like in the music industry. I am all for the state subsidizing more sports for all (Breitensport) and better education instead!
"Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex."